Daniel Leader's story
One day Daniel would love to join the RAF as a police officer. To help him gain the skills and experience he needs, he is undergoing an apprenticeship in business administration.
I took part in the ‘Summer Job Shop’ at Vision West Nottinghamshire College in August 2014 in which I gained knowledge and skills to enable me to find an apprenticeship, or progress into full-time education.
Though I had secured a place at college, I learnt how enjoyable the role at the Council would be after completing a short work trial as part of the programme. I decided to change my plans for September completely and I applied for the vacancy, and I was successful! I love my role at Mansfield District Council.
No week is the same in my line of work, I get deeply involved in the extra duties that are on offer and have a huge interest in working with the community aspect of my section with our Community Engagement Officer, Sioned Dolan.
Some of the many things I have achieved since starting in September are:
- Lead role/organiser in Youth Mayor Election (the voice for youth of Mansfield).
- Lead role for ‘Takeover day’ working with local primary schools around the district (Child commissioners national takeover day).
- Organiser for the annual visit tour for The Royal College of Defence Studies (high ranking dignitaries from around the world that will soon be leaders of government).
- Attended the Holocaust Centre in Laxton and arranged a display for Mansfield District Council to commemorate ‘National Holocaust Day’ (My Mansfield Facebook Page)
- Won ‘award and recognition’ event which runs every quarter from the Managing Director herself (Ruth Marlow and the Directorate Management Team).
- Organiser for the 2014 Remembrance Day parade/civic event.
- Working with the community/Mansfield District Council to run the annual event of the choir service at St. Peters Church.
- Regular dealings and interaction with the Executive Mayor, cabinet members and other elected members of Mansfield District Council.
- I have been chosen to accompany Sir John Peace in the Freedom March in Mansfield.
In May 2015, I played the important role of supporting the elections department for the general, mayoral and district council elections. After I have completed my first year here at Mansfield District Council, I hope to stay on for a further year to do the Level 3 Business Administration qualification. My long term plan is to join HM Armed Forces in the RAF as a police officer. It has been my lifelong ambition and I’ve always strived to achieve it.
Doing this apprenticeship is enabling me to gain valuable new skills and experience which will all be relevant and play a part in my long term plans, whilst also further developing myself as a person improving my communication skills and interpersonal skills. The skills I will develop and learn with Vision Apprentices over my two year course by doing these events for example; organisational and leadership skills, will be transferable to my career in the RAF.